One of the things that were missed in Google Analytics 4 compared with Universal Analytics is Ecommerce funnel reports. However, it’s not the case anymore with the new May 2nd, 2023 release. Google Analytics 4 has a new feature – custom funnel reports.
It means that you can create any funnel you want in Google Analytics 4 Explore and add it to GA4 Library, and after that, you can use this detailed report to add to the collections and lef-side navigation menu. As a result, you can access your website or app funnel within a few clicks and always have it at arm’s length.
Moreover, if you are an e-commerce business, you can access the funnel without building it in the new report – User purchase journey.
Permissions you need to build the custom funnel report in GA4
If you are not an e-commerce business or you want to create additional funnel reports, you will need to build the funnel. It means that you will need to ensure you have the right permissions to do that. Google Analytics 4 require a user to have Editor or Administrator permissions.
How to build the custom funnel in Google Analytics 4
So, in order to build the funnel and add it to the left-side GA4 menu, you should take the following steps:
Time needed: 10 minutes
- Open GA4 and go to Explore
- Click on Funnel Exporation Report Template
- Adjust settings the way you want and save the report to the library
You can read more about the Funnel Exploration report in my other article.
- Give the name to the report and save it. Click on “View Report in the Library” pop-up
- Select the collection you want to add the funnel to and click on “Edit” link
- Add the new custom funnel report to the collection and save changes to the current collection
- After these steps, you can access your funnel via left-side menu in “Reports” tab
If you make all the steps above right, you can enjoy using the new custom funnel in Google Analytics 4. It shouldn’t be an ecommerce funnel; you can build the funnel for a mobile app or the entire SaaS funnel. Besides that, GA4 allows you to apply the filters and audiences and break down the funnel by the dimensions you added to the GA4 Funnel Exploration report. So if you want to add more dimensions for the breakdown, you should change them in GA4 Explore.
GA4 Custom funnel limitations
Though you can access the funnel much faster than it was before, this new feature has a few limitations that I hope Google will resolve in future.
- You can create a funnel and save it as a detailed report in the GA4 library, but you can’t create scorecards and use them for GA4 overview reports. For instance, you can’t add the new funnel into Life Cycle – Acquisition and then add it to “Overview” report.
- You can have build up to 200 custom reports per property.
- Sometimes you can’t save the funnel because you reached one of the following limitations:
- A filter, in the Filters column of Tab Settings, has a condition that is not supported by Reports
- More than 5 filters are applied in the Filters column of Tab Settings
- Segments are applied in the Segment comparisons column of Tab Settings
- The funnel includes dimensions, metrics, or operators that aren’t supported by Reports
- You’ve created a trended funnel instead of a standard funnel
User Purchase Journey Report
Google also created one more default funnel for ecommerce businesses – User Purchase Journey report. It shows the following steps:
- Session start
- View product
- Add to cart
- Begin checkout
You can also apply filters, use audiences and break down the report by the following predefined dimensions:
- Device category
From my point of view, you can want to add more steps to this report if you use advance ecommerce tracking.
On the 2nd of May 2023, Google Analytics 4 received a new feature (GA4 custom funnel reports) and a new report (User Purchase Journey Report). Overall, the new feature is an excellent addition to Google Analytics 4, allowing you to build the funnel report in Google Analytics 4 Explore and add it to the left-side navigation menu in Google Analytics 4. It will give you access to the business funnel at arm’s length. It will also improve your focus and motivate you to improve the conversion rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
The user should have an Editor or Administrator role.
GA4 doesn’t allow you to use the custom funnel reports in the Overview report of your collections as other detailed reports.